The Life of an Eternal Colonel

I spent one year at a community college and six more at Eastern Kentucky University, now I'm working at EKU. Call me an Eternal Colonel.

Google
 
Web dustinmcclain.blogspot.com

Wednesday, March 09, 2005

February

Well I officially made it well over a month without a post. There is no real reason for this. I haven't been too busy at work and it's not for a lack of news. I guess I felt that the couple people who actually read my blog already know the news that I would post, but in case I've missed someone, here's what's going on.

First the smaller news. I now teach Karate twice a week instead of the one day I was teaching previously. While I love to teach karate and I now get compensation for teaching, it's hard to have another obligation added to my weekday list. On the plus side for the students, they will now have consistent teaching between classes. In the past two different people taught the two classes, so different things were taught different ways. So hopefully this will be good for our students.

Katie and I started shopping for a house a little over a month ago. We fell in love with this one home, but the home was just out of our budget and the current owner wouldn't lower the price any. So we kept looking around, but we found that we were comparing all houses to that original one. So we stepped back, talked to other people, and looked for ways to afford the house that we wanted. Thanks to a fellow teacher that Katie works with, it was recommended that we try a different financing option. We were told to try the Kentucky Housing Authority. They give lower interest rates to those that make under a certain amount and are state employees (like teachers). This change in financing was exactly what we needed, it brought our payment down alot and we were able to afford our home.

Since then, we've put our offer in for the home, she accepted, we've waited for our financing to get approved and we've waited for everything else in between. Originally when this process was started, the closing on our home was not suppose to be until March 22nd, our finance company did even better and we're actually closing tomorrow, almost a full two weeks ahead of schedule. So tomorrow we close, next week we'll move boxes and little things, and then Saturday March 19th, we completely move (so if anybody wants to help...) Katie and I are very excited and can't wait.

Besides buying a house, we've inherited a cat with it. The owner of the house (and cat) is moving into an apartment and doesn't want to do that to the cat. She wants the cat to be able to stay where she is familiar with things. So starting next week, we will own a cat named Stormy.

Well other than all the little things that Katie and I are getting done for the wedding, that is bulk of everything that has been going on over the past month. I'll try to stay a little more consistent with my blog for those two or three that actually read, so do check back.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home