The Life of an Eternal Colonel

I spent one year at a community college and six more at Eastern Kentucky University, now I'm working at EKU. Call me an Eternal Colonel.

Google
 
Web dustinmcclain.blogspot.com

Thursday, November 03, 2005

Bureaucracy

Why is that all major businesses and institutions never listen to their "customers"? I realize that rules are in place in order to help things run smoother, but sometimes you have to go around the rules. Now this isn't one of those rants "against the man", just those employees that don't use their power for good. I worked and lived long enough to no that if someone really wants to do something, they can do it (as long it's not illegal or completely killing the bottom line). All it takes is a little work or initiative.

So what I am talking about? Well, it comes down to the fact that I now have an undeserved "F" on my college transcript and they won't do anything about it, because they say that it is too late. Bullshit! You may ask how can it really be an "undeserved F". Well it all started a couple years ago. I was working on getting a certificate in Japanese. I only had one class left to take. I signed up and went to the very first class where they then told me that they class had been canceled because there were not enough students. Fine, whatever. But then they tell me if we want, we can travel to Berea to take the class since the same instructor was teaching it. Besides the travel, the class was now at a different time, so I therefore couldn't take it. Basically when the class was cancelled, I was disenrolled from the class, but later on Eastern then reenrolled me without my knowledge. I guess they "assumed" that we would just go to this new class. Not until much later did I realize that I had been signed up for the class. I was given an "incomplete" in the class and that later turned into an "F", even though I never signed up for the class. Unfortunately I didn't notice all of this until it was too late. And now they tell me since I've already received a degree, they "cannot" change the grade. Which I know is bullshit, if they really wanted to they could fix it.

I wouldn't be quite so pissed off except I am now pursuing a degree in another foreign language (French) and that grade will reflect poorly on me for the rest of my academic career. I can only hope that when I explain the reasoning later, they will believe me.

Sorry for the rant, but I had to get this off my chest. Thank you for listening.

2 Comments:

At 7:47 PM, Blogger Quinn and Family said...

I think you need to ask someone "higher up" than the person you talked to. Remember, "Never take a no, from someone who could never give you a yes."
I love you!

 
At 11:09 AM, Blogger Scott said...

Fight the man, man!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home