Barenaked and Lovin' it! Part 2
As my enjoyment of the Barenaked Ladies kept growing (see Part 1), my anticipation for a new album grew more and more until the news finally broke, the “Ladies” had been in their studio working on a self produced album all summer and this new album was set to be released in September (2006). It was announced that this new album would be available in two versions: the standard album and the deluxe album. Titled “Barenaked Ladies Are Me”, the standard album would be available online and in stores and would have 12 songs on it. The deluxe version would be quite a bit more. It would contain 25 and was only available in a digital version, but if you preordered it, you would get an astounding 29 new and original songs. So without hesitation I rushed over to iTunes and preordered the deluxe album as quickly as I could.
In the meantime, BNL released their first single from what was the soon-to-be released album. Through iTunes, you could purchase the new single and for the price of one song you received three songs from the album. From the moment I heard that first single, “Easy”, it became my favorite song. For those that know me well, this was a huge deal. I very rarely have one favorite anything, instead I usually have a few things that are at the top of my list, like a couple of favorite songs or a couple of favorite movies. But the moment I heard this song, I knew that it would be my number one favorite song, edging past all others that had previously been on my “favorite songs” list.
During the weeks that followed, I listened to the single patiently awaiting the whole album. Then September 12th finally came. I woke up that morning turned on the computer and downloaded “Barenaked Ladies are Me” the Deluxe album while I was getting ready for work. And as soon as it was done downloading, I burned two CDs with the full album on it. That day at worked I must have listened to the whole album at least twice, if not more. And let me tell you, it was everything I had hoped for. Out of all 29 songs, there wasn’t a single one that I didn’t like. Each was as good as the last, and one of the most enjoyable parts of the album was the opportunity to hear Kevin Hearn and Jim Creegan each take the lead vocals on a song. Also, as usual, the diversity of their album was extensive, with no song sounding like a copy or rehash of another (like you might find on other albums). So after all this, I would like to say that if you haven’t listened to this album yet, I highly recommend that you do so as quickly as possible. Heck, I'll even let you borrow the album if that is what it will take for you to experience its wonderfulness.
But this story does not end here…

0 Comments:
Post a Comment
<< Home