The Life of an Eternal Colonel

I spent one year at a community college and six more at Eastern Kentucky University, now I'm working at EKU. Call me an Eternal Colonel.

Google
 
Web dustinmcclain.blogspot.com

Tuesday, November 16, 2004

Pump up the Volume-review

Pump up the Volume stars Christian Slater as a teen who is uprooted from the east coast and is moved to the Suburbs of Arizona. Anyone that has ever had to move knows how hard it is to fit in and make new friends. Slater's character goes through the loneliness and awkwardness that goes along with the move. His father gives him a Hamm radio to try to reach his east coast friends, but of course, there is too much distance to reach them. Thinking that no one is listening, he plays out a fictional DJ named Happy Harry Hardon, who is much cruder and a whole lot less shy than he actually is. As the movie progresses he realizes that there are alot more people listening to him than he ever could have imagined. People at the school are actually selling tapes of his broadcast and quoting him. The underlying theme of this movie is teen angst. This movie does well pointing out that every teen has issues and that no teen is perfect. Pump up the Volume is very mature movie, and I would not recommend to younger viewers, but I would definitely show it to any teen that you think is going through that depressed, awkward, and "nobody understands me" phase. While it may become outdated someday, I believe the message will ring true for many years to come. My opinion is that it is very good movie, so I would give it an 8 out of ten.

1 Comments:

At 8:32 PM, Blogger Scott said...

I would have put this comment under your counter... but your counter doesn't have a comment section, besides, that would just be silly.

I like your counter. Really neat.... neat-o.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home