The Life of an Eternal Colonel

I spent one year at a community college and six more at Eastern Kentucky University, now I'm working at EKU. Call me an Eternal Colonel.

Google
 
Web dustinmcclain.blogspot.com

Monday, November 29, 2004

National Treasure

The first time I saw the trailer for this movie I thought it was for the DiVinci Code. It contained references to the all-seeing eye, the free-masons, and conspiracies. Though the trailers that followed for the movie, proved it to be different from the DiVinci Code, this movie would fit right in with the Dan Brown books. National Treasure stars Nicholas Cage as a "treasure protector". At the beginning of the movie, we find out that Cage's character is from a long line of people that hold a secret to the whereabouts of a great treasure that our forefathers hid around the time of the birth of our country. They felt this treasure was too great for one person to own, so in order to protect it, they hid it and placed a series of clues to its location. Previous generations of Cage's family have searched for this treasure and wasted many years of their lives having had no luck finding it.

As usual, Nic Cage does a good job making us believe and feel for his character. The overall acting in this movie is pretty good, probably no Oscar-winning performances, but believable enough for this story.

There where some plot-points of this movie that would seem like a large stretch. For instance, where everyone else fails to solve the puzzles, Cage's character, does it in a matter of minutes. That aside, this movie kept my attention the whole time and I enjoyed the Dan Brown/Indiana Jones feel that it had.

I give it and 8 out of 10. Good movies, good actors, and fun story.


2 Comments:

At 2:34 PM, Blogger Scott said...

Not having seen the movie, but after reading your review, I have a question to pose:

Why leave a trail of clues to something that you don't think anyone should own... i mean, how dumb are you? Leaving clues and maps and things around is like ASKING someone to "come get it".

 
At 3:25 PM, Blogger Dustin said...

My guess is that in order to protect something, you would have to know where it is at or at least have some way of finding out where it was at. Otherwise how could you protect it? As I understood it, different people had different clues, so that way, when they come together they could find it, as a group, not on their own. So, in other words, not one person would find, but instead several people would find it.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home